Skip to main content

Together is Better

Which field experience had the most significant positive impact on your growth as a technology leader?
There's no doubt about it...using Twitter to create a professional/personal learning network (PLN). I connected this to CoSN Standard 7B - Use various communication tools and techniques. Twitter has become an effective communication tool for me to build relationships with experts all around the world. I have learned information about what experts in my field are implementing in their classrooms and schools. I have also been able to share what I am implementing in my classroom. 

What is a PLN?

Scheninger (2019) defines a PLN as a group of people who shares information and participates in conversations. He believes "these conversations focus on mutual interests and goals, with the main objective of professional growth and improvement" (p. 145). He continues by saying that PLNs allow for feedback, support, and advice which allows educators to enhance their teaching and students’ learning. Kearney et al. (2020) state that educators describe a PLN as a personal experience in which they have control over the purpose and structure of their learning. 

Now, with the use of social media, these connections can be with people from all over the world. Geography no longer determines our connections!

Why Build a PLN?

We're in this together is a phrase I hear quite often at my school. However, there are many times when I feel alone. Educators know this feeling is not good and educating children is not something to do alone.

 

via GIPHY

This semester, I have absolutely loved using Twitter to build a PLN for myself. To be perfectly honest, I was dreading having to come up with something to tweet about twice a week. However, it became easier and easier. At first, I was only an observer and did what was required. I would mainly retweet what others were saying and doing. But as time went on, I gained more confidence in myself and began sharing what I was doing in my classroom. It felt so good when my original tweets were noticed by other professionals. This pushed me to try new ideas and strategies in my classroom. 

Kearney et al. (2020) found that online PLNs allow teachers to feel supported and connected, gain a deeper understanding of teaching strategies, and allow for meaningful insights into the education profession. Sheninger (2019) agrees with these benefits and also adds that PLNs allow for free professional development opportunities any time, anywhere, and with anyone. There's no denying that Twitter has allowed me to make connections and to learn from others. 

But How?

I joined Twitter in June of 2021 because a colleague of mine told me I would need it for graduate school. I was reluctant to join another social media site, but went ahead so that I would be familiar with it before I was required to use it. I started by just browsing. It took two months, and being required to, before I made my first tweet. It was intimidating because I was posting about myself to people that I really don't know. Just as Oddone et al. (2019) point out, teachers' comfort levels change as they use social media as a PLN.



Teach Thought Staff (2020) shared a blog post that contains twenty-five tips for using Twitter for professional growth. Some ways they mentioned were to make sure to give, participate in Twitter chats, use hashtags, and participate regularly.  

Don't wait, join me on Twitter and let's learn from each other!




References

Common Sense Education. (2021). Starting a PLN on Twitter: A quick guide for teachers [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HegF3hezF4

Kearney, M., Maher, D., & Pham, L. (2020). Investigating pre-service teachers’ informally-developed online professional learning networks. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 36(1), 21–36.

Luna. (2019, May 18). Lunaisyah love sticker [Giphy]. https://giphy.com/stickers/love-better-together-iIqfSn6qEZoQF9kOEY

Oddone, K., Hughes, H., & Lupton, M. (2019). Teachers as connected professionals: A model to support professional learning through personal learning networks. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 20(3), 102–120.

Sheninger, E. (2019). Digital leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times (2nd ed). Corwin.

Teach Thought Staff. (2020). 25 Twitter tips for teachers and education professionalshttps://www.teachthought.com/technology/25-tips-for-a-better-twitter-experience/

 


Comments

  1. GAMECHANGER!! "Technology has changed everything when it comes to professional learning" (Sheninger, 2019, p. 145). Social media and PLN's have made a huge impact in the education world. Teachers can grow their capacity and collaborate from their handheld devices. As busy as we all are, this approach to professional learning makes it more appealing. I loved what you said about geography no longer determining our connections. Adjapong et al (2018) argue, people that are connected to a PLN "develop meaningful professional relationships which will encourage collaboration and further professional learning". Together is definitely better and PLN's allow educators and leaders to have a network that supports and pushes them to be there best.
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Erica

    References:
    Adjapong, E. S., Emdin, C., & Levy, I. (2018). Virtual professional learning network: Exploring an educational twitter chat as professional development. Current Issues in Comparative Education, 20(2), 24–39.

    Sheninger, E. (2019). Digital leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times (2nd ed). Corwin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,
    I one hundred percent agree with everything you have said! I had a Twitter account prior to starting my studies on my Ed.S but never used it. Once I finally bit the bullet and logged on to Twitter and began using it to grow my personal PLN, it has been a huge shift! I love it! Even the dreaded Twitter chats are enjoyable now. Sheninger (2019) discussed that PLN's are much like like-minded people whom exchange vital information and engage in conversation. Without the use of social media, I would never have the opportunity to speak with other educators from all over the world. I mean, I even got excited when the Twitter chat hosts retweeted my responses...I felt famous...well kinda. Ha. Carpenter et. al (2022) also discussed how important it is for teachers to continue the shift into social media to continue buidling their PLN's because of the opportunities that present themselves. I am interested to see how this journey moves forward. Thank you for sharing!

    References:
    Carpenter, J. P., Krutka, D. G., & Trust, T. (2022). Continuity and change in educators’ professional learning networks. Journal of Educational Change, 23(1), 85–113. https://doi-org.ezproxy.montevallo.edu/10.1007/s10833-020-09411-1

    Sheninger, E. (2019). Digital leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times (2nd ed). Corwin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've come across a few people who also found that Twitter had a positive impact on their personal learning networks (PLN). "Lyn's use of Twitter was one of the integral steps in her developing a Personal Learning Network (PLN)" (Sheninger, 2019, p.145). I too, can appreciate the benefit Twitter has for professionals.

    "The components of PLN were: learning resources, learning tools, learning content, and learning activities" (Arsarkij & Laohajaratsang, 2021). The Twitter platform allowed for you to attain very good learning instruction. Being around a community of professionals like you always have been so twitter is definitely recommended for anyone trying to build up their networks in the profession.

    References:
    Sheninger, E. (2019). Digital leadership: Changing paradigms for changing times (2nd ed). Corwin.
    Arsarkij, J., & Laohajaratsang, T. (2021). A Design of Personal Learning Network on Social Networking Tools with Gamification for Professional Experience. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning, 16(18), 5306

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Granting Wishes

via GIPHY Wouldn’t it be nice if there really was a genie in a bottle or if money really did grow on trees? Think of the endless possibilities we could provide for our students, teachers, and schools. Well, since this isn’t reality, technology coordinators must be creative in coming up with ways to fund technology needs. Before purchasing anything, the technology coordinator and his or her committee must analyze the needs and wants of the teachers and/or students. The items must align with the goals of the school or district’s technology plan (Frazier & Hearrington, 2017). Once decisions have been made, the exciting time begins…purchasing. When purchasing technology, schools must purchase off of the Alabama K-12 Joint Purchasing List or from a bid list. Technology can be expensive. As Frazier and Hearrington (2017) point out, “school districts spend considerable funds developing technology infrastructure, establishing networks, and installing educational technology resources"

Impactful Coaching

When you hear the word coach, what comes to mind? I can’t help but picture sports. I have three children of my own who are very involved in various sports. Their coaches play an important role in their development. Their coach not only coaches them with sport but has also built meaningful relationships with them. My kids have been pushed to set goals and worked hard to achieve them. I feel that the relationship is a driving force that motivates my kids to work harder to reach their goals, which in turn, makes them a better athlete. This falls in line with instructional coaching . Knight (2018) defines instructional coaching as partnering “with teachers to analyze current reality, set goals, identify and explain teaching strategies to meet goals, and provide support until the goals are met” (p. 3). Hashim (2021) states that an instructional coach also supports teachers cognitively by ensuring that teachers understand new approaches. This in turn will not only improve teacher practice bu

Technology Coordinator: It's Not as Easy as You Think

When someone says technology coordinator, my first thought is someone who helps teachers and students with technology needs. I honestly never thought about all of the roles a technology coordinator must fill. According to Frazier and Hearrington (2017), this person “plays a major role in the success of a school or district” (p. 14). Frazier and Hearrington (2017) state that some of the responsibilities of a technology coordinator include: Supporting and facilitating the integration of technology Providing technical support Providing professional development opportunities for teachers Modeling effective use of technology Setting goals for the school Ensuring safety measures are in place when it come to technology Not only does the technology coordinator at my school fulfill these roles, she is also in charge of running our STEAM lab. She is responsible for planning and implementing weekly lessons for every class in our building. So not only is she responsible for all things technology