Skip to main content

Good Instructional Design


Brown and Green (2020) state that “instructional design is the systematic development of instructional specifications using learning and instructional theory to ensure the quality of instruction (p.7). In other words, instructional design is the process of creating a meaningful learning opportunity for participants. For an instructional design to be “good,” the designer must think about the needs of the learners and create something to meet those needs (Brown & Green, 2020).

via GIPHY

How?

There are many models for designing instruction. Good models offer guidelines for completing an effective design. One of these models is the ADDIE model. The use of ADDIE gives teachers a systemic way of thinking that helps them solve educational issues in a systematic way (Alsaleh, 2020). Alsaleh (2020) also states that using these types of models allow for self-awareness and reflection. The graphic below from Microlearning Blog is a great representation of this model. This blog also has a great explanation of the ADDIE model.



My Learning

When creating a presentation for others, I knew it was important to think about the different ways people learn. However, I did not know there were so many things to analyze before even beginning the creation of materials for training sessions. According to Brown and Green (2020) instructional designers must conduct a needs analysis, task analysis and learner analysis.


via GIPHY

Future Trainings

I have led several professional training sessions at my school. I hate to admit that before taking this class and learning about good instructional design, I was one of those people who just stood and talked. I would use Google Slides, but I did not incorporate any instructional strategies. I’m sure my participants zoned out and wished for it to just end. For my future trainings, I will incorporate the use of effective instructional strategies that meet the needs of my participants. Some ideas include games, turn and talks, Jigsaw, and multimedia instruction. “It is the instructional designer’s job to identify those activities that will work best based on the learners’ needs and instruction’s goals and objectives” (Brown & Green, 2020, p.143)


My Training

I have developed a training on implementing technology. This training is going to be for the first grade teachers at my school. When I found out about this assignment, I immediately surveyed several teachers from my grade level asking them what professional development they thought was needed for our grade level. They came to the conclusion that we needed more information about integrating easy to use apps and web-based programs into the classroom.

When I began designing my presentation, I thought about my audience. Several of them are “tech-savvy” and others are not. Therefore, I plan to use a lot of audience interaction when teaching.

I created my presentation using Canva. My slides do not have a lot of information, but they do include the basics. I will be discussing and questioning along with the information on the slide. I incorporated the use of videos from YouTube and from my personal classroom (with parent permission). I included the use of note taking, Turn and Talk, an instructional game, and giving time for the participants to actually try out some of the apps and websites. I also created a Wakelet that has more information about each app and website that participants can refer to after the training. I am concluding the presentation with a Google Form that will provide feedback about the training. The agenda, handout, and a video of my presentation is below.


Graphic Organizer for Notetaking 

Agenda

Integrating Technology Presentation for 1st Grade Teachers




References

Alsaleh, N. (2020). The effectiveness of an instructional design training program to enhance teachers’ perceived skills in solving educational problems. Educational Research and Reviews, 15(12), 751–763.

Brown, A. H., & Green, T. D. (2020). The essentials of instructional design: Connecting fundamental principles with process and practice (4th ed.). Routledge.

Brown, D. (2020, January 21). The ADDIE model. MicroLearning Blog. https://www.edapp.com/blog/the-addie-model/




Comments

  1. Dana,
    Your presentation looks AMAZING!! I absolutely LOVE using Canva because of it's ability to integrate and source in other applications. I think this will be a huge hit with your teachers, especially in a technological sense. I think including a Wakelet with all of your resources will be a huge help to them as well. You thought through your instructional design and it is very apparent. You know what you wanted your teachers to accomplish and that is pivotal in instructional design (Brown & Green, 2019). Using audience interaction will also play a major role in engagement and I think will make teachers truly want to take back all of the information to their classrooms. This will be such an empowering PD for teachers of all technological abilities, which is directly related to engagement and a safe learning environment (Merrill & Merrill, 2020).

    References

    Brown, A. H., & Green, T. D. (2019). The essentials of instructional design: Connecting fundamental principles with process and practice (4th ed.). Routledge.

    Merrill, J., & Merrill, K. (2020). The interactive class: Using technology to make learning more relevant and engaging in the elementary classroom. Elevate Books Edu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,

    Your training plan sounds great. You have utilized so many aspects of technology and it seems like it will be very interactive. Brown and Green (2020) say, “The approach you take to designing instruction will of course depend heavily on your professional setting and available resources.” (p. 13) You have done that to accommodate your grade level teachers for what their students’ needs are. The teachers will be excited to learn what you have for them. I love learning about new technologies all the time. I like that you have some other resources to share with them so they can access them later. It sounds like you really learned a lot from this class and will be able to take that with you in the future. Good luck with your presentation.

    Barbara

    Brown, A., & Green, T. D. (2020). The essentials of instructional design: Connecting fundamental principles with process and practice. Routledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Granting Wishes

via GIPHY Wouldn’t it be nice if there really was a genie in a bottle or if money really did grow on trees? Think of the endless possibilities we could provide for our students, teachers, and schools. Well, since this isn’t reality, technology coordinators must be creative in coming up with ways to fund technology needs. Before purchasing anything, the technology coordinator and his or her committee must analyze the needs and wants of the teachers and/or students. The items must align with the goals of the school or district’s technology plan (Frazier & Hearrington, 2017). Once decisions have been made, the exciting time begins…purchasing. When purchasing technology, schools must purchase off of the Alabama K-12 Joint Purchasing List or from a bid list. Technology can be expensive. As Frazier and Hearrington (2017) point out, “school districts spend considerable funds developing technology infrastructure, establishing networks, and installing educational technology resources"

Impactful Coaching

When you hear the word coach, what comes to mind? I can’t help but picture sports. I have three children of my own who are very involved in various sports. Their coaches play an important role in their development. Their coach not only coaches them with sport but has also built meaningful relationships with them. My kids have been pushed to set goals and worked hard to achieve them. I feel that the relationship is a driving force that motivates my kids to work harder to reach their goals, which in turn, makes them a better athlete. This falls in line with instructional coaching . Knight (2018) defines instructional coaching as partnering “with teachers to analyze current reality, set goals, identify and explain teaching strategies to meet goals, and provide support until the goals are met” (p. 3). Hashim (2021) states that an instructional coach also supports teachers cognitively by ensuring that teachers understand new approaches. This in turn will not only improve teacher practice bu

Technology Coordinator: It's Not as Easy as You Think

When someone says technology coordinator, my first thought is someone who helps teachers and students with technology needs. I honestly never thought about all of the roles a technology coordinator must fill. According to Frazier and Hearrington (2017), this person “plays a major role in the success of a school or district” (p. 14). Frazier and Hearrington (2017) state that some of the responsibilities of a technology coordinator include: Supporting and facilitating the integration of technology Providing technical support Providing professional development opportunities for teachers Modeling effective use of technology Setting goals for the school Ensuring safety measures are in place when it come to technology Not only does the technology coordinator at my school fulfill these roles, she is also in charge of running our STEAM lab. She is responsible for planning and implementing weekly lessons for every class in our building. So not only is she responsible for all things technology